Now let’s look at another way to pray – prayer with friends.
There is so much power when we pray and even more so when we come into agreement with a few other people.
“Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.” (Matt 18:19-20)
I know it may seem scary at first to pray with other people, but just do it. Find some Christian friends who want to see change come into their lives. Set a regular time to pray together. Then watch the changes unfold.
Last spring, I started praying almost every day with a friend. Then, we invited a few more people. We called ourselves the Prayer Warriors because everybody needs a fierce sort of name, right?
And we prayed.
At least two of us were praying EVERY day together.
The number of answered prayers was so incredible!!! We’ve not only seen our individual lives changed but the lives of those around us, too.
Here is just a partial list of what God did:
- Chronic depression lifted and no more need for anti-depressant medication
- Healthy pregnancy after concern of infertility
- Miraculous financial provision
- Fear removed that had been paralyzing
- Miraculous healing when it seemed a loved one might die
- Someone’s mind completely altered for the better and able to see a bad situation honestly
- Person removed from a household without trouble who seemed would cause great harm in the process
- Behavior in children radically improved
I could keep going and going. None of us have any kind of extra special connection with God. Prior to this time of daily prayer together we’d each seen help from prayer sporadically in our lives. So, I know that you, too, can experience this kind of incredible transformation.
We focused on a few key ingredients:
- Our love for God
- Dedication to show up for prayer every time possible
- Reading the Bible and praying out some of the passages over our own lives
- Believing in the power of God to touch and change our lives
It doesn’t have to be complicated to work.
Sometimes when we see other people having big things happen, we might be fooled into believing the lie that it happens to other “more special” people, but not to us.
I want to smash that myth.
Over and over in the Bible, God chose ordinary, and frequently weak, people to do His incredible work in the world. He chose the ones least expected by society to be chosen.
This is good news for all of us, ordinary people! We can remove the pressure to become something amazing to impress God into helping us. It’s only through God’s work in our lives that we become extraordinary.
God is freed to work in our lives when we are in relationship and communication with Him
Prayer is that communication. You just can’t overestimate the power of prayer.
Challenge yourself. Try praying daily for at least a month – some days alone, some days with friends or trusted mentors. I guarantee you will see remarkable change when you seek God fervently.
If you take this challenge, please share the prayers you see answered. If you don’t know if you can take the challenge, what is holding you back? How can I help you move forward into all that God has for you?